The purpose of MENC collegiate membership is to afford students an opportunity for professional orientation and development while still in school. It is expected that benefits will accrue both to the students and to the professional organization as the students gain an understanding of:
1. The basic truths and principles that underlie the role of music in human life.
2. The philosophy and function of the music education profession. (It is expected that this will be an outgrowth of actual participation in chapter activities, such as demonstrations, discussions, performing groups, and other campus activities and services.
3. The professional interests of members involved in state, division, and national meetings. Collegiate memberships are also a means of establishing contact with leaders in the profession.
4. The music industry's role in support of music education and contacts with members of that industry.
5. The knowledge and practices of the professional music educator as it is facilitated through chapter activity.